Politico – Almost every Democratic presidential campaign starts with what one close adviser to Barack Obama calls “The Pilgrimage” – the journey to the West End to meet the former president.
The first presidential pilgrims started in early 2018, and they continued to trickle through this summer. Not every declared candidate has met with Obama – Andrew Yang and Tulsi Gabbard were notable no-shows. Joe Biden, one of only two candidates who Obama knows at a family level. Others were met at a professional level.
The most recent of which was backstage at the funeral for Elijah Cummings in Baltimore on October 25. Deval Patrick, a close Obama pal and board member at the Obama Foundation who parachuted into the race last week, checked in with a phone call before announcing. For the others – Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Pete Buttigieg, Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, Beto O’Rourke, Steve Bullock, and more – the meeting was as important as planning their kickoff rally or first campaign ad.
Obama said that he was not planning to endorse anyone during the early stages of the primary process, in part because he believes that his experience battling for the 2008 nomination made him a better candidate and president. But according to this Politico article, Obama is starting to make comments on the candidacy of certain Democratic presidential hopefuls. Obama is worried, and rightly so. Does Obama want to be kingmaker now? Confirmation of Obama’s comments is not always clear, but here are some of the innuendos going around the internet from Obama:
- “Joe Biden doesn’t have it.”
- Obama admits, “He would speak up only to stop Bernie Sanders nomination.”
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Obama maintained a tumultuous and often testy relationship over the administration’s handling of the last financial crisis. Obama administration officials called Elizabeth Warren sanctimonious and a condescending narcissist. Bad blood?
- Pete Buttigieg got in hot water with many loyal Democrats when the Los Angeles Times reported that he cited the “failures of the Obama era” as part of why Trump’s election happened. Opps?
- Kamala Harris, the heartthrob of Obama, unfortunately for Obama, is not doing well in the polls. “How Kamala Harris Went From ‘Female Obama’ to Fifth Place.” Nice try Obama.
So, in short, Obama’s choice at the moment is: NONE OF THE ABOVE.
Obama warned Democrats against going too far left, saying, “We have to be rooted in reality.” Still, other bloggers are saying now that Obama is conservative. Say what? I suppose if you are a little right of the very far left, this is now called conservative according to some on the left. Its called moving the Overton window. It is an effort to get centrists Trump supporters, who may have voted for Obama in the past, to re-like Democrats. Don’t be fooled. Obama is not a conservative. Nice try The Washington Post.
The problem for Obama is that he knows that none of the Democrats are worthy of being president in the 2020 presidential election. Even according to Obama – imagine that. Obama a trump supporter? But be watchful, Democrats are crafty, who knows what they will dream up in the future.