Drink Koolaid

Confidence Level in Media, Biden, and the Fear of “Cancel Culture” – A Look at the Data

A majority of Americans have expressed concern over cancel culture in a new poll released just as public figures like Piers Morgan have claimed to have fallen victim to the phenomenon.

The Harvard Caps-Harris Poll released found that:

  • 64% of Americans fear that a “growing cancel culture” is a threat to their freedom. The other 36% said there is no threat.
  • 54% of respondents said they are personally concerned that they could be fired from their jobs or banned from certain platforms if they express their opinions freely. On the other hand, 46% said they do not fear facing consequences for sharing their views online. 

“It is a chilling finding that most people in the country now are afraid they would be fired if they expressed their real views on social media,” Mark Penn, the director of the Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey, told The Hill about the survey, which was conducted using a pool of 1,945 registered voters.

The results were more split when the poll asked respondents how important they think the issue of cancel culture is. Cancel culture is a “big problem,” according to 36% of those surveyed, a “moderate problem” according to 32%, while another 20% say it’s only a “small problem.”

An Edelman poll published by Axios shows that for the first time, a majority of the public distrusts the mainstream media.

  • 56% of Americans agree that “journalists and reporters are purposely trying to mislead people by saying things they know are false or gross exaggerations.
  • 58% of the public agrees that “most news organizations are more concerned with supporting an ideology or political position than with informing the public.

Democrats are far more easily cowed by the corporate media than Republicans, with 57% of the former still supporting the disgraced institution and only 18% of the latter accepting the mainstream media’s lies.

Media Trust

Analysis of previous Edelman polling reveals that the media’s utter loss of credibility has accelerated in recent years, only receiving a brief boost during Trump’s presidency. Previously, media corporations such as NBC and the New York Times had been facing a precipitous decline, with their traditional audience instead opting for alternative media.

In a brazen attack on media fairness, NBC anchor Lester Holt has stirred up some serious social media drama after arguing that the media has no obligation to give two sides to each story. In the speech he gave while accepting the Edward R. Murrow Award for Lifetime Achievement in Journalism, Holt criticized the notion that journalists must provide equal time to opposing viewpoints on an issue, insisting that some viewpoints are unworthy of airtime.

In other words, having the media spew a single narrative is a good thing – fairness doesn’t matter. Our facts are truth, yours are not. Other points of view are by default wrong and misinformation – and should be aggressively eliminated. Is it no wonder no one trusts the media with comments like this?

Looking at the longer historical perspective of American satisfaction, in terms of the direction of the country, what do we see (source data)? Through the information technology explosion, Americans were fairly satisfied until about the 911 period and then hit a high during the point of the “Great Recession.” In the Obama years, the dissatisfaction rates remained at 2008 levels – perhaps a tinge of improvement at the end. On the election of Trump, satisfaction rates began to climb again until COVID19. On the installation of Joe Biden as president and the removal of the “Big Bad Orange Man Bad,” there has been a rise in satisfaction based upon “hope” expectations, though still far from previous historical levels.

America Political Satisfaction Historical

Zeroing in on more recent events, how is Joe Biden doing as a president today? Let’s take a look at his approval ratings (see below). Normally presidents do get an initial “honeymoon” period. Generally about 100 days. However, Biden has already hit a low of only 30% approval – even in the Obama administration, his lowest point was 38%.

Biden Approval

The recent “stimulus checks” voters have received have given some temporary satisfaction. The economy is like a drug addict. More “stimulus” will be needed, at increasing rates, to keep people satisfied – even at current depressed levels. Can the voter stop drinking the Kool-Aid of government handouts and finally wake up to see what is happing?

Given the socialistic Biden economics of tax and spend policy, the latest high-levels of dissatisfaction of “cancel culture,” along with many of the geopolitical challenges brewing around the globe, perhaps we have seen the highest satisfaction numbers that the Biden administration will receive during his presidency. We will continue to monitor and report the numbers going forward.

 RWR original article syndication source.

Share this:

What do you think?

Written by Jefferson Thomas

Concerned citizen.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ethiopia’s Tigray conflict: G7 powers condemn ‘human rights abuses’

China ‘driving out journalists’, EU says after BBC’s Sudworth leaves