Chart of the Day: Which are the Mean Vicious Dogs Breeds?

Which mean and vicious dog breeds are involved in fatal attacks on humans? In the 13-year period of January 1, 2005, to December 31, 2017, canines killed at least 433 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 66% of these deaths. Rottweilers, the second leading canine killer, inflicted 10% of attacks that resulted in human death. Combined, two dog breeds accounted for 76% of the total recorded deaths. See the chart below and learn more here in a report.

Dog Bite Fatality Chart 2005-2017Other interesting statistics in this same report offer an insight into who are the victims of deadly dog attacks.

  • The 13-year data set shows that 48% (208) of all fatality victims were ≤9 years old and 52% (225) were ≥10 years old, a significant rise from the early CDC study years (1979 to 1988) when victims ≥10 years only comprised 30% of all deaths.
  • Of all age groups, children ages 0-2 had the most victims, 27% (115). The highest age-specific fatality rate is infants <1, which comprised 48% (55) of this group. The 50-69 and ≥70 age groups followed, each accounting for 18% (76) of all deaths.
  • Over the 13-year period, male victims (223) outnumbered female victims (210).

Some breeds have incredibly strong jaws, which we can quantify using the scientific measure of force: psi (pounds per square inch.)  Here is the top breed’s jaw strength, or see the video below.

So are Pitt Bulls the terror of your neighborhood? Today, when averaging the 3 years (2015 to 2017), pit bulls comprise about 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population. Check out the video below – quite the friendly dog.

Some believe the Pit Bull breed has gotten a bad rap. While it is true that pit bulls have a violent past – their ancestors were bred to fight bears in British blood sports, and some of them are still used in illegal dog fights – that doesn’t define them today. As any trainer will tell you, a dog’s upbringing will determine its temperament far better than its breed, and many experts have gone to bat to protect these pups. Because of that, some cities have even reversed their pit bull bans. Denver, for example, repealed its ban in June 2021. Learn more here on the “12 Pit Bull ‘Facts’ That Are Totally Wrong.”

Give us your thoughts below on whether mean, vicious dogs make good pets in the comment section below.

See more #chartoftheday posts.

If you found this article informative, please consider a small donation to our coffee cup to help support Conservative Journalism – or spread the word. Thank you.

 RWR original article syndication source.

Share this:

What do you think?

3 Comments

Leave a Reply
  1. Pit bulls are a menace and should be banned in the US. I don’t care if some people say, “My pitties are the sweetest, kindest dogs you’d ever want to meet.” That’s a big pile of steaming horse shit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Written by Tom Williams

Born down on the farm in America's Midwest, my early life was spent climbing the ladder via a long career in information technology. Starting as a technician, and after earning a degree going to night school, I eventually found a place working at ATT Bell Laboratories as a software engineer.

Later moving into management and then a long stint in a major management consulting firm working with major banking, telecommunications, and retail companies. Working in various states in America, I also spent considerable time living and working in several European countries - currently expat in France. As a side career, I was heavily involved in real estate development and an avid futures trader. This experience can give one a unique view of the world.

The storm clouds of dark change are near. Today America is at a crossroads. Will it maintain its prowess as a national leader in the free modern advancing world, or will it backtrack in the abyss of the envy identity politics of tyrannical socialism, and the loss of individual freedoms. The 2020 election may have decided this. Join the Right Wire Report team and make a stand.

China’s Covid-19 surge continues with 150 new cases in Xian epicentre

Trump and the January 6 committee locked in a full-on confrontation